The following statement from Stop the War Coalition was recieved today:
The assassination of Qasem Soleimani last week has made the world a more dangerous place. That is the only conclusion we can draw from the further threats by Donald Trump to attack Iranian sites, including cultural ones, and now the retaliation by Iran with missile strikes on US bases. We do not know what further escalation there may be but we do know that any war in the Middle East will have a deadly impact on the ordinary people there.
Trump’s behaviour has frightened even many of those close to him, but it is clear from the response of Boris Johnson that the British government is also terrified of offending Trump. We can therefore expect Johnson to follow the line, as when he justified keeping British troops in Iraq.
The demonstration in London on Saturday, which is co-organised by CND, and those taking place across the country are vital in rejecting our government’s policy and in asserting opposition to yet another disastrous intervention in the Middle East
On Saturday, we are marching from the BBC (Portland Place) to Trafalgar Square where the demonstration will be addressed by a wide range of speakers including Stop the War President Brian Eno and Joe Glenton from Veterans for Peace alongside Iranian and Iraqi speakers as well as notable Labour Party figures including Diane Abbott. Please do everything you can to get along to the demonstration and spread the word amongst family, friends and colleagues.
We also need volunteers to help out with stewarding and facilitating the demo. If you can help please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Here is a list of protests and events taking place across the UK:
· 08 Jan | Cardiff | No War with Iran!
· 09 Jan | Birmingham | No War With Iran, US/UK Troops Out Of Iraq – Protest
· 09 Jan | Edinburgh | No to War on Iran Vigil
· 11 Jan | Chesterfield | No War on Iran
· 11 Jan | Manchester | No War with Iran
· 11 Jan | Newcastle | Don’t Attack Iran Rally
· 11 Jan | Liverpool | Don’t Attack Iran
· 11 Jan |Bristol | Don’t Attack Iran: Protest at Donald Trump’s Act of War
· 11 Jan | Sheffield | No War With Iran
· 12 Jan | Bradford | No War with Iran – Demonstration
· 18 Jan | Swansea | Don’t Attack Iran: Protest at Donald Trump’s Act of War
· 18 Jan | Canterbury | No War on Iran
· 19 Jan | Warrington | No War With Iran
We are pleased to announce that our former Chair and leader of the Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn, will be speaking at the ‘No War on Iran’ demonstration taking place this Saturday in Central London. He has been steadfast in his condemnation of Donald Trump’s assassination of Qasem Soleimani and US aggression towards Iran more widely, as he has been for the past decade and more.
The demonstration in London on Saturday, which is co-organised by CND, and those taking place across the country are vital in rejecting our government’s policy and in asserting opposition to yet another disastrous intervention in the Middle East. Please do everything you can to get along to the demonstration and spread the word amongst family, friends and colleagues.
Jeremy Corbyn’s speech at London’s ‘No War on Iran’ rally: